Friday, August 16, 2013


Monday we left Wasilla and drove up to Denali National Park.  It was a beautiful drive up.  We stayed at the Denali River Cabins.  We stayed there one night last year, but didn't have time to go back into the park.  This year we scheduled a two-night stay.  We are still catching up on sleep, so had no problem going to bed early.
The shuttle bus picked us up at 6:30 am.

After picking up people at other hotels we arrived at Denali.

We had originally planned on taking the shuttle back into the park, but when I had trouble with my back a couple of weeks ago, we decided to upgrade to a tour bus.  This is our tour bus and our driver.

We really thought it would be like a tour bus.  It was comfortable, so it was ok.

We did see some animals while we were in the park.

We saw a grizzly with two cubs. 

About 2 hours into the tour the bus overheated and they had to send another bus out to finish the tour.  

Our driver was telling us that three years ago she had two little cubs stop right in front of the bus and play for a couple of minutes.
If you go to You Tube and search for Denali cubs you can see the short video.  It is very good.
 It was a crystal clear day, so Mt. McKinley was beautiful.

We also saw a moose with two calves and plenty of caribou.

We were told that when the fire weed blossoms get to the top of the plant that winter is 6 weeks away.  The fire weed blossoms are definitely at the top of the plant..


We drove out to Kantishna which is at the end of the road.  It was gravel road except for 15 miles at the beginning.

We didn't get back to our cabin until almost 10:30 pm.  Too long of a day.  Howard and I are not tour people and we felt it was way too long.  We enjoyed talking to the people on the bus, but would have preferred to stop when we wanted to take pictures, but unfortunately private cars are only allowed the first 15 miles.

Well, we were up at 3:00 am and are on our way to Boise to visit Cheryl and family.

We are "sleepy" in Seattle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ending 2017

It has been awhile since I have blogged, so I thought I would just do a catch up.  We had Thanksgiving at our house this year  Brett, Lauri...