Thursday, June 30, 2016

In Alaksa

We left home two weeks ago, and I haven't blogged yet.  We flew into Anchorage and stayed at Scott's house that night.  The GraceWorks facility in Anchorage was full.  We drove up the next day to Wasilla.  We stayed with Carolyn, the secretary at the church we would work out of in Wasilla.  First Baptist was having their VBS and were using all of the rooms for that.  

This is what  greeted me when we drove into the church parking lot.  Lilac's are my favorite flowers. 

We took Friday and did a lot of our dry shopping.  We took it over to Carolyn's and put it in her house.  On Saturday we did our fresh food and frozen food  shopping and were able to get into the church in the afternoon to take care of it.  We went back over to Carolyn's and got our dry stuff.

We have three college age and young adult girls that are our park hosts this first session.  They have been a big help to us.  They helped load everything up and bring it into the church.

We had teams from Louisiana and Mississippi here the first week.  We had about 30 plus staff.

This  week we have teams from Alabama and N. Carolina.  They only number about 25 plus staff, so it has been a little easier.

We have not gotten out much yet, except to the store.  Next week is the one week break all of GraceWorks takes.  Hopefully we will get out some.  We hope to get some baking done, as the next week we will be cooking for about 55.

One night Jay, Howard and I took a ride in the evening.  We overlooked the Palmer Hay flats.  It was a beautiful night.

Our grandson Josh, from Washington was vacationing a week here in Alaska.  He stopped here on his way through.  Both times he helped set up rooms with us.  He was such a big help.

Grandpa, Grandma and Josh

I will show you a few food pictures, seeing that is what we are up here for.

 Apple and Berry pie

 Banana cream and chocolate pie
 coconut cream pie

 Chicken spaghetti.  Our neighbor had us down for a meal before we came up here and this is her recipe.  It is very good.
Our traditional Alaskan night.  Halibut Olympia, grilled fresh salmon, roasted red potatoes, asian cole slaw and cheddar cheese biscuit.

 Some of you may not know what this is.  It is rhubarb.  Carolyn has some growing at her house.

 She brought some to us this week.
 I cut it up this morning
Howard made cinnamon rhubarb muffins.  Yummy!!

We got a call this past week that Howard's niece, Maryke had a heart attack and passed away. She was 55 years old.  We were at a relative's wedding in Georgia the end of April and spent the evening with Dale and Maryke

Maryke and Dale

They live in Michigan.  So thankful for the time we had with them.  Howard's sister, Miriam, and Larry and Laurie went up to Michigan this last weekend to be there for the service and spend time with family.  So thankful they could do that, where we couldn't.  We are rejoicing that Maryke is in heaven but it is hard for the family that is left behind.

Next week is our break and then we have four more weeks of cooking.  Pray for us as you think of us.  We enjoy what we do, but we do get tired.

I started out last week really hurting.  My lower back and hips really hurt.  It hurt to climb stairs.  The end of last week, I felt much better.   Yesterday I was back where I started.  Hard to climb stairs and stand and walk.  I am using a high stool in the kitchen.  Finally I realized that I had worn a different pair of tennis shoes when I hurt.  I switched back to another pair and today I felt great.  Don't know what that is all about.  These are shoes  that I wear at home.  Oh well, it's just going to be one pair I wear up here now.  I'm so glad I figured it all out.  Today was a very good day!!  PTL

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Very Thankful Thanksgiving Time

We have had a very Thankful time the last few weeks.  First we had a Thanksgiving meal for our International Friends ladies.  We like to sh...